There are three pools of money athletes can claim funding for: Performance Pathway Funding, Sport Manitoba Athlete Assistance Funding and 2017 Canada Games Funding. Funding can be used for travel and competition expenses as well as equipment (runners, spikes, etc).
Athletics Manitoba Performance Pathway Funding – 2016
- The detailed overview of this funding program
- Provided to athletes who achieve a performance pathway standard in their event relative to their age. 2016 Standards
- Claims for this funding must be made by November 30. Athletes must make one claim only for the entire amount. Receipts must be provided. Acceptable expenses include travel for training and competition as well as equipment (spikes, runners, etc.)
- Athletics Manitoba will make an attempt to follow up with athletes and coaches who have qualified, but ultimately athletes and their coaches are responsible for being aware of the standards, their performances and for submitting their expense claims
- Performance pathway standards must be achieved in the outdoor season
Athletics Manitoba Games
(Western Canada Summer Games – WCSG and/or Canada Summer Games – CSG Funding)
- Funding may be available to athletes who are eligible for Canada and Western Canada Summer Games teams. The coaching staff for these teams is responsible for the budget and they will decide how overall funding for the team will be distributed. Direct athlete funding through games programs will be dependent on the achievement of standards that are specific to the Canada or Western Canada Games teams. All prep squad athletes and their personal coaches will be made aware of this funding if and when it becomes available.
Sport Manitoba Athlete Assistance
- Funding provided by Sport Manitoba for athletes who have achieved medals at any national championship or those who have made national teams and achieved results internationally.
- Athletics Manitoba will identify the athletes who qualify for this funding and forward the required paperwork to athletes who are eligible.
- Sport Manitoba makes the decision on who receives funding. Receipt of an application form does not guarantee funding
- Applications are due in December and athletes who will receive funding will be notified in January. This is an annual funding program.
Dave Lyon Legacy Fund
Dave Lyon held many different roles in the sport of Athletics. He was a long time athlete, coach, sport administrator and volunteer in the Athletics community. His passion for the sport of Track and Field carried him to 5 Olympic Games. He was a team leader in Montreal 1976, Los Angeles 1984, Seoul 1988, Barcelona 1992, and finally Sydney in 2000. Dave was the Athletics Competition Chair for the Pan Am Games in 1967 and 1999. Dave founded the historic Winnipeg Razorbacks Track and Field club which held national acclaim. His multiple roles in the sport of Athletics allowed Dave to inspire many young athletes to not only achieve athletic success as national champions and Canadian team members, but also to give back to the sport as coaches, leaders and sport builders. Dave’s Legacy in Athletics in Manitoba is the continued pursuit and support of High Performance.
Originally intended to support athletes from Manitoba who qualified for self-funded teams, the Dave Lyon fund will now support all athletes who are full-time residents of Manitoba who make national teams as Athletics Canada no longer has self-funded teams.
The funding available through the Dave Lyon Legacy Fund is $250 – $500 each year depending on the number of athletes who make national teams. It will be dispersed in January of each year.
- Manitoba Resident
- National team member
- Funding level to be determined by the number of athletes who make national teams and the amount of funds available for distribution
Application/ Email of interest can be forwarded to: Donna Harris, Executive Director email@example.com 204 925 5744
Simplot sponsors a small group of athletes and coaches each year to attend and compete at the Simplot Games.
More in formation can be found at Simplot Games, under School Programs
Application deadline is October 31st.
The Simplot Games is an open meet and any club or school can enter as well.