U16 & U18 Provincial Team
The U16 & U18 Tri Province team program is a provincially focused competition opportunity run by Athletics Manitoba. The program is targeted towards athletes that fall into the U16 (14-15 years of age) and U18 (16-17 years of age) age categories. Each year the U16/U18 team attends the Tri-Province meet.
The overall goal of the program is twofold; to provide an out of province competitive opportunity for our top athletes and to serve as a means of identifying and engaging new talent in the performance pathway of track and field. In an effort to increase the effectiveness and scope of the U16/U18 Provincial Team program; the 2021-2022 program includes additional rural outreach efforts to help deliver Athletics to communities throughout the province while allowing for athlete and coach development.
Standards used for potential provincial team selection are outlined below. Please note that achieving the standard or being named to the Prep Squad allows the athlete to enter the selection pool; it does not guarantee selection. Standards in the events must be met or exceeded in an Outdoor sanctioned competition between the dates of April 1st 2021 and the end of trials (June 17th-18th).
This year’s event will be held in Alberta (exact location TBD). Dates will be distributed once they have been finalized.
40-athlete U16 Team & 40-athlete U18 team.
A minimum of 2 Male Para Athletes & 2 Female Para Athletes
TBD- will include transportation, accommodations, competition uniform and some meals.
Must be a registered member in good standing with Athletics Manitoba.
- U16/U18 Provincial Team will be selected based on performances achieved at Age Class Provincials on June 17th-18th 2022
- All athletes interested in being considered for the team must submit a declaration of interest form by before June 17th, 2021. This declaration will be made available in early May on TrackieReg.
- As noted above, the qualifying period for achieving standards will begin April 1st and includes all performances achieved at Trials.
- Final Team Selection will occur after the completion of the event with all members being contacted shortly concluding the meet.
- Standards will be based off the last 4-years of results at the Tri-Province Challenge.
- A Standard is compiled of averaged 2nd place results, B Standard is from the 4th place average, and C Standard is from the 6th place average.
- The process to finalize team selections will occur in the order listed in the selection criteria.
U16/U18 Provincial Team Selection Criteria
- First place at the selection trials, having achieved the A standard
- Second place at the selection trails, having achieved the A standard
- Third Place at the selection trials, having achieved the A standard
- Appeals from an athlete who has achieved the A standard
- First place at the selection trials, having achieved the B standard
- Second place at the selection trails, having achieved the B standard
- Third Place at the selection trials, having achieved the B standard
- Appeals from an athlete who achieved the B standard
- First place at the selection trials, having C standard
- Second place at the selection trails, having C standard
- Third Place at the selection trials, having achieved the C standard
- Appeals from an athlete who achieved the C standard
- First place at the selection trails, with no standard
- Athlete has achieved A or B standard, but placed outside of the Top 2
- Athlete has an ability to contribute to a relay
- The Team manager and Event Coaches will have the authority to add an athlete into an event if there are no eligible athlete in that event after the selection date
Athletes who cannot compete at Selection Trials MUST submit a letter of appeal to the Head Coach and Team Manager.
If there are any further questions regarding the U16/U18 Program, Outreach or Rural Athlete Development please contact Michael Kananoja at firstname.lastname@example.org