Return to Sport
Athletics Manitoba is committed to safe sport for all members, and with the recent changes made to the Provincial Health Orders, it is imperative that all members continue to follow the Back on Track return to training and competition guidelines as developed by the National task force.
These guidelines should be followed after making the personal decision that you are comfortable to return to training.
The current health orders (Feb 12th) outline that indoor sport and recreation facilities are allowed to open under a strict set of guidelines, and that gyms and fitness centres are also allowed to open. However anyone training at an indoor sport and recreation facility must be accompanied by a coach/instructor. (Only one-on-one training is permitted).
PLEASE NOTE that at this time, the University of Manitoba is ONLY allowing University of Manitoba Team members to have access to the indoor facility.
There is currently no Exclusive Use, and no access to the James Daly Fieldhouse for club athletes.
If a club has access to another indoor sporting facility they must follow all items outlined by Order 13 AND the previously established National Back on Track Guidelines.
13(2) The indoor sporting and recreational facilities set out in subsection (1) may open for the sole purpose of providing individual instruction if
- (a) each person receiving instruction is accompanied by an instructor who is solely responsible for providing instruction to that person;
- (b) the total number of instructors and persons receiving instruction in any area of the facility does not exceed 25% of the usual capacity of that area; and
- (c) no more than one person for each person receiving instruction is permitted to enter the facility to observe the instruction.
ORDER 14 14(1) Gyms, fitness centres and yoga studios may open if the operator (a) limits the number of members of the public to 25% of the usual capacity of the premises;
The current health orders (Feb 12th) also outline that outdoor sport activities are allowed.
This means that as the weather begins to improve, clubs and groups are able to resume training outdoors. However it is again important to note that we do NOT have access to the University of Manitoba, outdoor stadium at this time.
If clubs and training groups resume training outdoors in public spaces or parks, (i.e. not at “sporting facilities”) you must follow health orders 12.3 and 12.4.
- This means that groups should be 5 or less and all athletes must maintain 2m social distancing.
If clubs and training groups are able to resume training outdoors at an outdoor sporting facility (ex: Brandon Sportsplex) health order 12.5 would apply AND the previously established National Back on Track Guidelines.
12(3) Persons engaging in outdoor sporting or recreational activities must maintain a separation of at least two metres from each other, unless they reside in the same residence or they are participating in an organized practice, game or competition at an outdoor sporting facility.
12(4) Persons must not engage in outdoor sporting or recreational activities as part of a group of more than five persons, unless all persons in the group reside in the same residence or they are participating in an organized practice, game or competition at an outdoor sporting facility.
12(5) Organized practices, games and competitions at outdoor sporting facilities may take place, but no multi-team tournaments are permitted.
Back on Track - Steps to Success
In addition to the guidelines provided by the National Back on Track Task Force all members are encouraged to review the following documents.
- Athletics Manitoba Return to Sport Addendum
- Club Risk Assessment and Mitigation Checklist Tool
- Province of Manitoba Sport Guidelines
- Province of Manitoba Risk Assessment and Mitigation Tool for Recreational Activities
- Written Instructions on completing the Return to Training Attestations and Waivers*
*The corresponding Trackie links were distributed to members, Thursday June 11th. Please contact your club administrator if you have not completed your waiver.