- As agreed upon by the University of Manitoba and Athletics Manitoba, equipment availability will proceed in two stages.
- Stage 1 (Monday, July 13th) will include Throwing implements, Blocks and Hurdles.
- Stage 2 (Monday, July 20th) will include Sand Pits and High Jump Mats.
- This staggered approach will allow for the gradual re-introduction of equipment, and ensure that proper sanitizing procedures are followed.
- AM Staff/Volunteer onsite for each training session will bring out the cleaning supply kits each day at practice and place at the designated area.
- Coaches will be responsible for picking up a kit for their area and returning it at the end of their session to the designated area.
- Cleaning supply kits will be stored overnight under the grandstand.
- Used cloths will be washed to disinfect and then returned for another training session.
- One coach has volunteered to be responsible for the washing/replacing the used cloths. This will likely need to happen once/twice per week.
There will be 2-3 small cleaning supply kits for each event area. They will include,
- 1 bottle of disinfecting spray
- 1 bottle of hand sanitizer
- Bag with clean unused cloths
- Box or bucket and a mesh bag for used cloths
- HJ specific – may require a Swiffer style floor mop
STAGE 1 – Event specific Process and Procedures
- All equipment must be cleaned and disinfected before and after use.
- Each athlete must use the equipment designated for their exclusive use during the training session.
- If equipment must be shared, it must be disinfected between each use.
- Athletes will be required to retrieve their own equipment on the landing surface.
two separate sets (carts) of blocks.
- Cart 1 – Mon/Weds/Sat
- Cart 2 – Tues/Thurs/Sun
- Whenever possible, athletes should not share blocks.
- Blocks must be sprayed with disinfectant after each use.
- One person handles (replaces) the blocks and then disinfects blocks and sanitizes hands.
- Whenever possible, athletes should not share hurdles.
- Only one person per group handles hurdles and must disinfect the hurdles and sanitize hands before and after use.
- If athletes are sharing a lane of hurdles, the hurdles must also be sprayed/wiped after any unplanned contact.
STAGE 2 – Event specific Process and Procedures
- Mats are to be covered by a large tarp that must be fully disinfected before and after each individual athlete. OR;
- Pits are to be covered by a large tarp that is unique to each athlete and put in place and removed before and after each individual athlete/user (therefore multiple tarps needed). OR;
- 1-2 soft gymnastic mats could also be used on top of the pit.
- Only one person handles (places) the first mat/sheet, which is disinfected and then placed on landing area. Jumper does one or more jumps, then removes mat/sheet and disinfects it and sanitizes hands.
- A second clean mat/sheet is placed on the pit for the next jumper while the other is disinfected.
Long Jump/Triple Jump
- Prior to the first use of the sand pits a high mist spray of disinfectant of a suitable concentration neutralise the virus, will be sprayed over the sand prior to use, as well as turned and raked.
- The disinfectant used for this purpose will be provided by the University of Manitoba and will be the same product used by the Active Living Centre to disinfect equipment.
- To help mitigate any additional risk we strongly recommend that
- Sanitize hands before and after each jump.
- Avoid getting sand in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- The landing pit should be fully turned and raked before and after each individual athlete/user.
- Equipment such as rakes, measuring tapes, should be managed by dedicated individuals for a particular session i.e. one athlete or the coach, and cleaned and disinfected between one athlete’s series of jumps or between sessions.
- Subsequently, at the end of each training session, coaches will be required to spray their pit.
- Different training groups should not share sand pits
on any particular night.
- Example: Group 1 finishes training in Pit #1 at 6:00pm, Coach sprays down the pit before departing.
- Group 2 uses Pit #2, Coach sprays down the pit before departing.