UPDATE – In light of the Government of Quebec’s announcement today, the 2020 Canadian Indoor U16 / U18 / U20 Championships have been cancelled.
At this time, Athletics Manitoba is maintaining regular operations. We intend to move forward with all upcoming events and Exclusive Use training hours, however we will continue to monitor this evolving situation over the next few days.
We must remind all members of the importance of following normal preventive actions while at the track, school, work and home including recommended hand hygiene and avoiding touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Additional key times to clean hands include:
- After blowing one’s nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After using the restroom
- Before eating or preparing food
- After contact with animals or pets
- Before and after providing routine care for another person who needs assistance (e.g. a child)
The following statement was published by Athletics Canada this morning.
On March 10th, Athletics Canada convened a meeting of its senior leadership team to discuss the COVID-19 crisis (now deemed by the World Health Organization as a worldwide pandemic). AC’s Sport Science team has also been involved in these discussions (with the COPSIN Sport Medicine Advisory Committee now working on 48 hr updates for the sport community). We looked at risk through two lenses – what is the risk of doing it, and what is the risk of not doing it. We did that with an eye on performance preparation and financial risk, but most importantly with the health and welfare of our athletes and support staff always at the forefront of the discussions.
Here are the some of the factors considered, and decisions taken by the AC senior leadership group:
- There are a number of upcoming camps/competitions scheduled in Canada and the United States in March and April, including the Canadian Indoor U16/U18/U20 Championships, but nothing internationally until the World Race Walk Cup in Minsk at the end of April/early May.
- Given the current advice from the COPSIN Sport Medicine Advisory Committee (subject to change given their planned every 48 hr update plan), we believe that we can currently go forward with camps/competitions/events scheduled in Canada and the United States. This would be both for athletes on their own programs, as well as AC led/directed events.
- It is HIGHLY recommended that no member of Athletics Canada travel outside North America, for any reason, until at least April 12/2020.
- For anyone who decides to disregard this non North American travel advisory, you will be ineligible to use Athletics Canada CAPP support (dollars, travel bookings facilitated by AC, etc.) until at least April 12/2020. You will be undertaking any such travel at your own risk, and at your own cost.
- Athletics Canada will not hold any camps, or participate in any competitions outside of North American until at least April 12/2020.
Please direct any comments or questions to High Performance Director Simon Nathan, or your Athlete Performance Advisor (APA).
Note this policy is subject to change frequently, as the situation around COVID-19 if both fluid and volatile. We will communicate any changes as quickly as we can, via whatever medium is necessary given the urgency of any particular scenario.