Athletics Manitoba is currently seeking applicants to participate in the establishment of an Athlete Council. The proposed Athlete Council is based on the model used by the Athletics Canada Athlete Council. We feel that now more than ever, it is important that Athletes are provided with a clear avenue to bring forward issues to the Board of Directors and have access to a safe forum for discussion among peers.
We hope to fill between 6-9 volunteer positions, and our goal for this Council is that it truly reflects our membership. We would like to see a representative from each event group; Sprints/Hurdles, Multi-Event, Distance, Marathon/Road Running, Throws, and Jumps; in addition, the Council should always have a minimum of one Para athlete, one Special O athlete, a combination of athletes from inside and outside the perimeter, and both male and female athletes.
The Athletics Manitoba Athlete Council’s mission will be to bring athletes together to form a collective voice, to create and maintain an athlete centered culture within the organization.
By increasing communication and dialogue between athletes through the council, our vision is to better inform and empower athletes, and to make sure their opinions and concerns are heard by the Board of Directors. That athlete leadership and involvement will help promote values of inclusion, transparency, education and equality within Athletics Manitoba.
Expectations of Athlete Council Members:
• Assist with finalizing the Terms of Reference (Length of terms, future process for nominees etc)
• Participate in email discussions as necessary and attend at least 1-2 in-person meetings per year (Spring and Fall)
• Act as an extending voice (questions, concerns, suggestions) for all Athletics Manitoba athlete members.
• Willingness to be involved in the communications with the greater athlete membership.
• Bring forward athlete issues to the Athletics Manitoba Board of Directors (ensuring that these issues are kept as confidential as possible, when necessary)
• Promote a positive, supportive, athlete-centered environment
• Act as a leader among the athlete membership
• Knowledgeable about the upcoming competitions, event groups and trends
• Acts in the best interests of the athlete membership
• Degree of initiative – will assume leadership when requested
Maintain positive relations with both AM staff & membership
• Willingness to work with the Programs Manager and Board Members on projects
• Willingness to support athletes as a mentor
Athletics Manitoba promotes values of inclusion, transparency, education and equality within the community and encourages all interested members to submit their letter of interest to: Noelle Merkel via email – email@example.com by May 11th.